Site Canada Young Leaders Program
Starting out in a new industry can be intimidating for even the most confident person. Success is much easier to achieve when you are supported by peers and advisors. The Site Young Leaders program is designed to build the next generation of motivational experiences leaders by providing education and networking opportunities on a level and in a manner appealing directly to younger generations. Industry professionals who are 35 or younger, or have less than 5 years of experience, are encouraged to participate.
In 2011 Site Canada Young Leaders were engaged in a variety of activities that provided great opportunities for them as well as our Chapter. A few highlights from the year include:
- Many YLs volunteered at the Site Canada Golf Tournament in August, contributing to the success of the event
- Site Education Day was co-chaired by one of our YLs and included a session that was designed to address the concerns of the younger generations
- The SiteLines newsletter has received regular contributions from one of our YLs providing a new perspective on events and educational experiences
- The Site Social events were planned with contributions from our YLs, raising significant money for our charities
We anticipate greater YL involvement in 2012 as we grow our committee and encourage new members to join.
How to get involved
Membership – Joining our Chapter and becoming involved is now easier for new Young Leaders than ever before. Our Chapter is the first in the world to institute tiered membership rates for YLs to assist with the financial barriers to joining. Below is an outline of the Chapter’s commitment to you and what is required on your behalf.
- To join a committee and attend all committee meetings. If I am not able to attend I promise to notify the Director in advance.
- To ask for guidance, assistance and/or clarity if needed on any task I am assigned.
- To inform the Director if I cannot fulfill an obligation I have committed to.
- To contribute to, abide by, and support all the decisions of the committee.
- To act with respect, fairness, and in good faith towards my fellow committee members and to the Site Canada staff.
- To express any concern I have at a committee meeting or to the Director and work towards constructive resolution.
- To protect the confidentiality and ensure the privacy of privileged information I may receive verbally, in writing or electronically.
- To be honest and ethical in all my capacities as a chapter volunteer, and to avoid actions which are or could be perceived as conflicts of interest or for individual gain.
- To enjoy my role as a Young Leader chapter volunteer, and to foster growth in myself and others.
- To attend three chapter meetings at the member registration rate per year.
- To participate in Young Leader meetings or forums prior to chapter meetings when scheduled.
- To provide service to Site Canada through phone campaigns, guest speaker at colleges/university or other industry outreach programs.
- To abide by the Site Global Code of Ethics which can be found at www.siteglobal.com
Committees – Committee membership is a fantastic way to get to know your peers and learn from the experiences of others. The YL Committee is a great opportunity for you to share experiences, ideas and lessons in a comfortable environment. You also benefit from the expertise of Site Canada leaders who listen with open minds and offer different perspectives. Membership on other committees allows you to contribute to our industry in a productive way whether it be planning an event, educational day or writing to our newsletter etc. Members who volunteer on a committee often feel they get more out of their membership than those who do not volunteer.
Young Leaders Academy – Site Global has built an international committee of Young Leaders to plan the Site YL Academy. This event is the key program for industry YLs who gather to share experiences, learn from each other and have a lot of fun. You will have the opportunity to make connections with your peers from all around the world. The 2012 Academy will be held in conjunction with AIBTM in Baltimore in June. Details are now being confirmed. Click here to review the Site Global Young Leaders information.
Site Canada will be offering scholarship opportunities for the 2012 YL Academy. Check back for more details early in 2012.
The future of our industry is now and the Site Canada Chapter is working to build the next generation of leaders. Get involved and help continue the traditions that make us one of the industry leading Chapters.
Space is limited for the Young Leaders Program. Please contact Liz Akey at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming a Young Leader.
Young Leader Scholarship Opportunties
2012 Site International Conference in Beijing, China.
September 14-17, 2012